Characters: Un-named elf in a kitchen!
Disclaimer: The characters in this story do not belong to me, but are being used for amusement only, and all rights remain with the estate of JRR Tolkien.
I thought recipe fic might be good for this challenge - so the drabble is an exact 100 words - the recipe an added bonus!
Strawberries. His friends said strawberries made them think of kisses for, in their woodland, the strawberry dell was a favourite place for kissing.
This dish he thought, adding wine, would surely work just as well.
And then he picked up the mace and his thoughts went elsewhere.
The first time he met mace in the kitchen he had questioned the name, for his tutor had told him a mace was a dishonourable weapon used by the enemy.
His teacher had said he knew nothing of that sort of thing. But the look in his eyes had told a different story.
Spiced Strawberry Compôte
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 cloves
• 2 cardamom pods, cracked
• 2 blades mace
• 750ml/1⅓ pint red wine
• 1 vanilla pod, split
• 1 dried chilli
• 200g/7oz caster sugar
• 1 fresh bay leaf
• 1 orange, zest and juice
• 500g/1lb 2oz strawberries, hulled
1. Tie the cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom pods, mace and dried chilli up in a small piece of muslin.
2. Bring all of the ingredients except the strawberries (including those in the muslin), to the boil in a saucepan. Boil for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the liquid into a clean saucepan, add the strawberries and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the strawberries are soft. Carefully strain the liquid back into the, cleaned, first saucepan and set the strawberries aside.
4. Continue to boil the liquid until the volume has reduced by two-thirds. Pour the liquid onto the reserved strawberries, cover and set aside to cool. Chill in the fridge overnight.
5. To serve, spoon the compôte into glasses or bowls and serve with shortbread biscuits, and cream to taste...