The 2011 Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards have just begun! We will be accepting nominations from June 1- June 30. We welcome all nominations of Tolkien-related fanfic, poetry, and fan-essays.
Self-nominations are also welcome.
1. What kind of pieces are eligible?
The MEFAs is a fanfic awards-program that accepts most types of fanfic.
Slash and het are both welcome, as are stories about all of Tolkien's characters (both Silm-based and LOTR-based and other-Tolkien-book-based). We accept poetry, essays, fics (WIPs and finished), drabbles - if it's in written form and connects with Tolkien's works it is probably eligible! We also accept fics about the historical JRR Tolkien, but do not accept actorfic unless it is about one of the actors somehow interacting with a Tolkien character (say, Legolas has a chat with Orlando Bloom).
We do have the following requirements:
--- pieces must be competing for the first time OR be a WIP when they competed that are now complete
--- pieces must be based on JRR Tolkien's writings or an adaptation of the same
--- pieces must fit within our General, Teen, or Mature ratings; see
MEFA FAQ Ratings Guide
--- pieces must be at a URL where anyone can read it without logging in
--- authors must have an email address that they check regularly where we can contact them
Authors must fill out a form about their piece where they will be asked to describe their piece. So you need to be able to answer several questions about your piece, including choosing three categories where it will compete.
If your piece cannot be described on these terms, it is not eligible. Also, if you do not reply to emails or begin work on your form within two weeks of being nominated, we may withdraw the nomination and allow the nominator to put forward another email address. So it's important you at least let us know you have been nominated, even if you can't begin work on your forms immediately.
2. How to Nominate a Piece
Nominations are accepted from members of our website. Membership is free and open to the public, but we do have a few steps we ask you to take, though.
This is mostly to make sure you don't already have an account with us - each account can only nominate twenty pieces, and it's important to make sure that the same person doesn't get to nominate more than other people.
To that end, you have to do two things:
--- (1) join the MEFAwards Yahoo group, which we use to send out important announcements
--- (2) fill out a short questionnaire you are sent and return it to usersATmefawardsDOTorg.
Our volunteer in charge of accounts will set you up at our website in a day or two, and you will be sent your username and password automatically by our website. THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM YOUR YAHOO ACCOUNT INFORMATION, and changing one will not affect the other. If, after 72 hours, you have not received your log in information to our website, email me at supportATmefawardsDOTorg and I will track down what the snag is for you.
Once you have this information you will be able to log into our voting website. Starting on June 1 you can log in at the MEFAwards website.
(Please note, this is a different address than in previous years.) From there, just click the "Nominate a Piece" link and fill out the form.
3. What to Do Now?
There are a few ways you can get involved.
(1) First, get your account ready.
--- If you aren't a member already, join up by subscribing to the MEFAwards Yahoo group and sending in your questionnaire.
--- If you don't know your password, you can go ahead and request it at the MEFAwards test site. (This is our test site, but the password will be the same at our new site.)
--- If you're not sure whether you have an account or not, email me at supportATmefawardsDOTorg and I'll help you.
(2) Next, start thinking about what you want to nominate. Choose twenty of your favorite stories by other people, or stories you've written that you would like to compete. Go ahead and collect the URL, the story title, the author's name and the author's email account - you'll need all four to nominate it. Previously nominated stories are generally ineligible.
(Exception: if it was a WIP when it competed before but is now finished.) Check out a list of previously nominated stories at
(3) If you know for sure you want to nominate a story, go ahead and drop the author a line. While not strictly required, it *is* helpful because the author knows to expect an email from us (so less chance it will get deleted by accident). This is especially useful if they're new to the MEFAs.
(4) On a similar note, tell your email program not to treat emails coming from @mefawards.org as spam. Most email providers today have a way to "trust" certain domains. We really don't spam, but sometimes when you tell people congratulations or start talking about an awards program, the email will think it's spam. Go figure. :^P
(5) If you want to get involved as a volunteer, it's not too late. In particular we always welcome promoters. If there's some listserv, website, or other fandom water-cooler where you don't see MEFA announcements and you want to give them the latest MEFA news, then contact me at supportATmefawardsDOTorg.
Elen sila lumen omentielvo,